Rakan WARTAMAYA

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bakun longhouse chief accused of theft slams cops

MIRI: A longhouse chief in the Bakun region claims he has been given the “runaround” by police over an allegation that he stole an excavator from a timber company.

Tuai Rumah Nyalang Tahe said he had been summoned by the police to appear in the Belaga magistrate’s court on charges that he stole the excavator after a recent confrontation between the longhouse folk and workers of the Miri-based timber company.

However, he claimed that when he turned up at the court complex on Friday, no one was around.

“First, the police summoned me to the police station in Belaga and wanted to arrest me. Then, they told me that they would charge me in court.

“I went to the court and it was closed. They are giving me the runaround,” Nyalang told human rights group Borneo Resources Institute. - + selanjutnya
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Blog list